Job opening: Assistant curator
Apply before 19 January
This vacancy is closed
IMPAKT [Centre for Media Culture] in Utrecht, the Netherlands, presents critical and creative views on contemporary media culture and technology in an interdisciplinary context.
To strengthen our team we are looking for an Assistant Curator (16-24 hours / week) who will work in a team on producing exhibitions, events, special projects and the yearly IMPAKT Festival. As an Assistant Curator you will support IMPAKT’s artistic director as well as guest curators, contribute ideas to IMPAKT’s programme and curate your own projects. You will help write funding applications and support communication and promotion of our programmes.
We are looking for a dedicated, enthusiastic young professional with demonstrable knowledge of contemporary art and media who would enjoy working in a dynamic art organisation that looks for critical, open, original and challenging approaches from the arts to discuss the impact of developments in media and technology on our societies.
What you will do:
- Support the IMPAKT artistic director in researching and producing projects and exhibitions;
- Support the guest curators in researching and producing events, exhibitions and the yearly IMPAKT festival;
- Curate and produce programmes (such as an event, web project, screening or exhibition);
- Contribute to funding applications, writing texts and related forms and reports;
- Contribute to the network of the organisation and its knowledge on relevant artists and themes and develop awareness of new issues and debates in contemporary art, media and society;
- Write texts relating to the exhibitions and projects in clear, accessible prose;
- Act as a liaison between the (guest) curators and the artistic director, production team and PR department;
- Support IMPAKT’s partnerships with other organisations in Utrecht, the Netherlands and abroad.
- Contribute new ideas, themes, formats and approaches to the IMPAKT programme;
- Support resident artists, for instance in the yearly EMAP/EMARE residency;
- Coordinate screenings and presentations on the IMPAKT website and supervise the interns that work on IMPAKT Channel programmes.
What you should bring to the team:
- Demonstrable knowledge of and passion for contemporary art and media culture;
- A good balance between academic interest and knowhow, while also being aware of the limitations of academic discourses;
- Ability to make abstract ideas and issues accessible and appealing to broader audiences;
- A recent relevant degree in the field of art, media, cultural or curatorial studies;
- Enthusiasm for collaborative and team-based working, good organisational skills and the ability to work under pressure and within deadlines;
- Well-developed skills in writing and presentation and ideally mastery of both Dutch and English;
- Knowledge of the local cultural scene, so it is an advantage if you live in Utrecht;
- Experience is not required: we especially value passion, enthusiasm and talent.
IMPAKT is a media arts organisation based in Utrecht and founded in 1988. We present critical and creative views on digital culture, new media and the role of technology in our society. With a rich programme of exhibitions, events, web-based projects, monthly IMPAKT TV episodes, residency programmes and the yearly festival, IMPAKT has a unique position within the Dutch and international cultural landscape. We use the lens of art to present innovative approaches to social issues and stir debates with critical ideas. IMPAKT programmes deal with themes such as the need to reclaim digital agency, the complexity of a data-driven world, the social implications of new technological developments such as facial recognition software, and new approaches to climate change.
IMPAKT works in local, national and international contexts, collaborating with like-minded institutions. IMPAKT develops programmes for a (semi)professional audience as well as for a younger public with a broad cultural interest.
IMPAKT runs its own exhibition space in the centre of Utrecht. The core team of IMPAKT consists of a small, hard-working group of around 7 people. Towards the festival, the team grows to almost 20. Dutch and international interns are an essential part of the organisation. For the festival we are joined by many volunteers.
Read more at www.impakt.nl
Conditions of work
16-24 hour per week, to negotiate.
This post is available on either a freelance or a fixed-employment basis.
Salary: €2.840 to €3.372 / month (with a 36-hour week), dependent on experience.
How to apply
Please send your motivation letter and CV to Arjon Dunnewind at firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to apply is 11.59 p.m. on 19 January 2022.
Interviews will start in the week of 20-25 January 2022.
Aim to start position 1 March 2022.