Open call code NL-D
What can art bring to the political realm?
School of Machines, Making & Make-Believe in Berlin, Germany, and IMPAKT Centre for Media Culture in Utrecht, The Netherlands, are pleased to announce an open call for participation for an exciting collaborative series of events throughout 2021 called CODE NL-D.
CODE NL-D seeks to bring together artists, non-artists, politicians and policy makers from Germany and the Netherlands to engage in dialogue, critical discussion and artistic intervention with the desired goal to influence public policy and define ways in which we can improve laws and legislation that will protect us as digital citizens and consumers. What potential do these cross-disciplinary collaborations have to catalyse systemic change?
A small group of selected participants will have the opportunity to work closely together and with established Dutch and German artists over the course of the project. CODE NL-D consists of a series of events both physical* in Berlin and Utrecht as well as digital: two workshops, two symposiums, a social hackathon and an online exhibition. The events are spread over several months: from May til October. As a participant, we invite you to be actively engaged in all these events aimed at bringing to light the most pressing issues we face as a society surrounding digital culture and public policy.
Group artworks will be conceived over the course of a weekend social hackathon and then improved upon after feedback from policy makers. Final group works created throughout the events will be exhibited in an online gallery space meant to engage continuous critical discussion into 2022.
Are you worried about the power of the big tech companies. Would you like more transparancy in the way your data is used? Do you think our governments should know more about our digital society and protect our rights better? Are you an activist, nerd, digital illiterate or just a concerned citizen? Than we hope you will join us in CODE NL-D.
Participation is free of charge. Participants will be selected on the basis of their motivation. In making the selection, we also aim for a diverse group in terms of backgrounds and expertises. Everyone is welcome to apply and no prior experience is required.
CODE NL-D is realised thanks to the kind support of Fonds Soziokultur, Fonds Cultuurparticipatie, Botschaft des Königreichs der Niederlande, Goethe Institute NL.
who are we looking for?
- Applications are open to non-professional artists
- Participants should be living in the regions of Germany and/or the Netherlands
- People with an interest in learning from and collaborating with professional artists to create artistic interventions to influence policy makers
- Women, POC, LGBTQ+ are encouraged to apply
- No prior experience is required.
- If not sure, just apply!
schedule of events
- April 2nd: publish the open call on the website
- April 30th: close the open call
- May 6th: deadline for selections
- May 7th: selection announcement
- June 5th: Symposium I
- June 18th-20th: Social Tech Hackathon
- July 3rd: Workshop II
- September 5th: Symposium II
- October 2021 thru 2022: Documentation and Online Exhibition
- *Exact dates subject to update